Organizing Notes

Bruce Gagnon is coordinator of the Global Network Against Weapons & Nuclear Power in Space. He offers his own reflections on organizing and the state of America's declining empire....

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brunswick, ME, United States

The collapsing US military & economic empire is making Washington & NATO even more dangerous. US could not beat the Taliban but thinks it can take on China-Russia-Iran...a sign of psychopathology for sure. We must all do more to help stop this western corporate arrogance that puts the future generations lives in despair. @BruceKGagnon

Friday, April 27, 2012

BREAKFAST IN BELLINGHAM


Mike Jacobsen went to Jeju Island for three weeks and returned one week ago.  He is a member of Veterans For Peace in Bellingham, Washington.  I am staying at his home while here.  It's fun hearing Mike talk about his trip that came after the first three VFP members we sent over there were thrown out of the country by the South Korean government.

Yesterday, soon after arriving here, Mike took me to Western Washington University where I did a late afternoon talk.  From there I was taken to dinner with three other members of the local VFP chapter.

This morning I was lucky to be able to go to their VFP chapter's weekly Friday morning breakfast at a local joint.  About a dozen members of the Bellingham chapter were there and we had some great discussion about endless war and organizing strategies.

For lunch today we will be hosted by chapter member Gene Marx at his home.  Not yet heard plans for dinner.  But I am enjoying eating my way across Bellingham.  I speak tonight at 7:00 pm and then Mike will drive me the two hours south back to Seattle where I will be kept busy over the following three days.

The big talk here is about a proposed coal train (carrying strip mined coal) that would run from Montana and Wyoming to this part of Washington state where it would then be loaded on ships and taken to China.  In Oregon and here in Washington folks are strongly opposed to the plan and are organizing to stop it. 

2 Comments:

Blogger Janet Marino said...

Bruce, thank you so much for the presentation this evening. The following conversation stetched out into the street for a good while. We are grateful for your time and knowledge. I hope you are able to pass through Bellingham again soon.

In Peace,
Janet Marino
Whatcom Peace & Justice Center

4/28/12, 2:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Bruce! I am adding my "thanks" for your talk last night in Bellingham. You did not say anything (in the larger context) that I was not already aware of (or views that I am not already sympathetic with), but you did place different 'emphasis' on some things (though I was not aware of the Jeju Island issue, nor of the Crown family, and the consequence of their political donations). Well, then there is the significant matter of Rumsfeld's lackey proposing an almost inevitable "first strike" on China and/or Russia! I was very impressed by your presentation, and am very appreciative that you stopped in Bellingham to give it. Please take 'good care' of yourself, and keep up the good work. Your cousin, Kerry Johnson (AKA "Fishmael").

4/28/12, 12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home